Saturday, August 2, 2014

Eight years ago...............


Eight years ago today we left the care facility and went to our new home in Houston, Texas.  I had to say goodbye to my daughter and being a mom I felt like we were just abandoning her, but I didn’t have a choice.    My mom had said goodbye the night before, she couldn’t bear to watch us leave. The worst part for me was that now we were going someplace that we wouldn’t have visitors popping in on us anymore, we were alone and I never felt more alone than I did on that ride to the airplane and the airplane ride to Houston. The thought of living in Houston petrified me, but you dig deep and knowing that God was right beside me somehow helps you manage to plow through.  The plane ride was scary, very scary.  It was a 6 passenger plane with no co-pilot and they had to manually use an ambu bag to make Dennis breathe all the way there.  But nothing was scarier than walking into T.I.R.R., right in the heart of the medical district of Houston, Texas.  We met Dr. Donovan the head of the spinal unit and then went to the room.  It was to sterile, to cold and very old.  I kept thinking that it needed a rug, something to warm the place up.  I just wanted my mom and my dogs and I wanted my daughter,  but most of all I wanted my husband, my soul mate, my best friend, to wake up and tell me everything was going to be OK.  Unfortunately, you don’t always get what you want but, but somehow God gives you the strength to go on. It seems like this journey was a lifetime ago and yet sometimes I can hear a song or have a memory or a song that will take me right back there.  Although I am glad that is over and I never want to go through that again, God made me a much stronger person for it.  When you have nothing to cling to but Him, and He brings you through it, you come out stronger on the other side.


[ God’s Everlasting Love ] What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

We went from this:
 
To this:

                                          There's no place like home.  Much love, Cheri 

5 comments:

  1. What a testimony. Can't imagine how devastating it felt for you. How does anyone survive this without God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheri, thank you for sharing this. It spoke to my heart having experienced so many similar moments. You are right that these trials make us stronger. Blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This poignant post touched me very deeply Cheri, and I can only but imagine how long and short these past eight years can be.
    Thanks to God for where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine your level of fear. thank you for sharing. I was feeling sorry for myself today.....not anymore.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has it been only eight years! I understand how you felt. They also took me to Houston after my ordeal. I for one am so glad to be back in our little beautiful Fairview, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete